Sunday, March 15, 2015

Hillsong Church

It was recently brought to my attention that there was some confusion about Hillsong Church's doctrine. I want to publish what their pastor's actual statement was, in order to help them correct the error in the media. Here's a link to his actual statement, and here is the copy of his statement.

http://hillsong.com/media/statement-re-recent-media-comments-on-homosexuality

"Statement from Brian Houston - Senior Pastor, Hillsong Church
Re: recent media comments on homosexuality
I encourage people not to assume a media headline accurately represents what I said at a recent press conference.
Nowhere in my answer did I diminish biblical truth or suggest that I or Hillsong Church supported gay marriage. I challenge people to read what I actually said, rather than what was reported that I said. My personal view on the subject of homosexuality would line up with most traditionally held Christian views. I believe the writings of Paul are clear on this subject.
I was asked a question on how the church can stay relevant in the context of gay marriage being legal in the two states of the USA where we have campuses. My answer was simply an admission of reality – no more and no less. I explained that this struggle for relevance was vexing as we did not want to become ostracized by a world that needs Christ.
I made the point that public statements condemning people will place a barrier between the church and the world (and I note that Jesus came to save and not to condemn), which is why at Hillsong, we don’t want to reduce the real issues in people’s lives to a sound bite."


No comments:

Post a Comment