Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Random: I want to write.. but I don't know what to write about...

Yeah finally something actually random on this supposedly random blog. I feel like I want to write, but I don't know what to write. Maybe I didn't get my 50,000 words in today (yes I'm aware its not typically 50,000 but for me it is :D).

I sort of want to write something somehow military related.. I don't know why. So this post is going to end up being about caring for veterans because..

About three months ago, maybe four, my youth group packed hygiene kits for the homeless. The lady that organized it is Mary Yonjof, one of our youth leader's moms. She's involved with caring for homeless people etc., and knows a lot about the Guilford County situation in particular. You can Google her. So a video thing they had done to give us a little background about it, gave some statistics about the number of homeless people. Did you know there are over 400 homeless veterans in Guilford County alone? I have to say, every time I saw that video, I got mad. Veterans have given at least four years of their lives to being willing to be told what they can do when, being kept away from their loved ones, and sometimes having their lives endangered, to help defend our freedom and the freedom of people all over the world. Why is something not being done to help these men and women? There are only four total veterans' homes in North Carolina, and I don't understand why that is. Mrs. Yonjof told me it was because there is not enough public interest in veterans, and that burns me up. I mean, how would you like to be willing to endanger your life for millions of people and then as soon as your enlistment is up, to be tossed aside and forgotten? No, our veterans deserve much better than that! I can't believe that the people of North Carolina do not come together to petition the authorization of another veterans' home for our returned troops. I don't actually know how one would go about doing this... but I think it needs to be done. Guilford county should have a veterans' home. Why not a veterans' home serving the neighbouring counties as well? Why couldn't we have one? Because people don't care. That's why we don't have one. I think people should care. I think we should love our veterans and respect them for their self-sacrifice. I have family members and friends in the military. I don't want them to maybe be disabled someday and come home and there not be a service available for them! I think something should be done about it. I'm young.. not sure if I can even legally petition for something, but I care, and if I knew how to go about it, I would!

So this was random like I said... a rant because I'm burned up about the lack of care given to Guilford County's veterans. I hope you look it up and see, because it's a matter that needs attention!

Comment and let me know if you agree!

Love,
Ruth

God bless our troops!

2 comments:

  1. It's so sad that many veterans are homeless. Our class did a project on homelessness a while ago.
    Anyhow, Happy Valentines Day!
    Grace

    theshortendofthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace, for the reply! Like I said, I have family members and friends in the military so this is really a huge point for me! :)

      Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!
      Ruth

      Delete