Tuesday, April 14, 2015

"Lead Me to the Cross"

This is a song by Hillsong United (have I mentioned how much I love them???) and the words are as follows:


Savior I come
Quiet my soul remember
Redemption's hill
Where Your blood was spilled
For my ransom
Everything I once held dear
I count it all as lost

[Chorus:]
Lead me to the cross
Where Your love poured out
Bring me to my knees
Lord I lay me down
Rid me of myself
I belong to You
Lead me, lead me to the cross

You were as I
Tempted and trialed
Human
The word became flesh
Bore my sin and death
Now you're risen

Everything I once held dear
I count it all as lost

[Chorus]

To your heart
To your heart
Lead me to your heart
Lead me to your heart

[Chorus]

I was singing part of it today and suddenly realized something. See the part "Bring me to my knees" in there? A lot of people sing this kind of lyric on Sundays or sing them because they like the song, and don't realize what being brought to their knees truly is. It really is when you're in a helpless place. When you're brought to your knees, there's nothing you can do. You just sit there and want to scream at somebody or punch something because you're so broken, you don't know what to do. You're so hurt you feel like there's nothing to be done. That is being brought to your knees. People sing these lyrics so lightly, and a lot of them, living their easy lives don't know what it actually means. Being brought to your knees is being so devastated that all you can do is say "Jesus!" over and over and over again. 

But that is the beauty of trusting and following Christ. When our world does fall apart, He is there to catch us as we begin to fall. He catches us and says, "No. You are more because you are Mine. You're more than this world that's falling apart. I have you. Be still and know that I am God." And when that happens, that is being brought to your knees. That is counting everything you held dear as lost. That is when you learn to lean completely on God. When everything around you gives way. "When all around, my soul gives way, my Anchor holds within the Veil!"

Being brought to our knees hurts, but it helps. There's a saying, "no pain, no gain." If we don't feel the pain of having our world fall apart, then we don't feel the beauty of leaning on Christ. I can say that I have been brought to my knees. I have felt my world falling apart, but I leaned on Christ, and He brought me back up and set me back down and said, "No. You're more than what's around you. You won't give in, because you are in Me." It is beautiful. I know from experience. It hurts, but it's beautiful. God has blessed me so much, and I think I can truly say I have been brought to my knees and praise God I have been stood back up through His mercy and love!

Love,
Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment